What is RTP in Online Casino Software?

Gambling websites offer thousands of titles for visitors. Return to player is a good indicator of which software to choose from such a variety. But, while the concept seems straightforward, it doesn’t show the probable wins in short-term sessions.

What is RTP?

Return to Player is a widely accepted measure suggesting how much players can expect to win when playing casino games. The standard practice in the casino industry is to showcase this number so that visitors can better understand possible outcomes.

However, this value is not an exact amount, but a statistical measure representing the percentage of money the game will pay back. The key word in this case is return over time. Players can’t expect to always get $95 back for every $100 wagered in games with the advertised return percentage of 95%. 

The game’s payback percentage is calculated over a long period and on a scale measured in hundreds of thousands of games played. That means users can vastly exceed expected returns if they hit a winning streak or even get one lucky windfall.

How is it used in Slot games?

Users exploring Pennsylvania’s online gambling landscape or any other globally can notice slot games are by far the most represented on such websites. These popular gaming formats have hundreds, if not thousands, of games on a single platform. 

RTP is an essential stat for slots and is usually listed in the game’s paytable or the information section. Slots use a random number generator to determine the outcome of each spin. 

Because of that, slots rely on statistical chances to meet the listed number. Because this value is measured over millions of spins, players can’t look at the return to the player in terms of a single session.

The RNG software, like online slots, have randomized winning where play is not affected by losses in previous spins. In the big picture, however, visitors can expect the software to give back the advertised 95%, leaving the house with a 5% edge.

Why does the understanding of RTP matter?

Knowing the ins and outs of casino software can lower potential dissatisfaction. To better understand the odds in slots, users should understand the return to player, although it doesn’t consider the frequency of payouts.

Volatility is another measure that influences the gaming experience. Slots with high volatility offer bigger winnings with less frequency, while low volatility means players can expect more wins with smaller amounts.

Understanding these concepts is essential for online gamblers to increase their chances of winning and realize the mechanisms behind popular slots.

How can RTP be calculated?

The calculation for return to player is a straightforward division of wins and wagered amount, resulting in the percentage of money players got back. The formula is simple: wins/bets x 100. Volatility is vital for calculations as it influences the tolerance, or deviation, between the expected amount and the actual payback.

The software will have a bigger tolerance after 60,000 spins, but it will decrease significantly after one million spins are played. Theoretically, most popular titles will have returns as advertised, but it only brings a little clarity for individual players and their relatively short sessions.

Welcome Bonus of up to $1000

Get a marvelous 100% Welcome Bonus up to $1000

4.5
Rating
15x
Turnover
30d
Valid

First Deposit Match up to $600

Receive your 100% First Deposit Match up to $600

4
Rating
1x
Turnover
7d
Valid

Welcome Bonus up to $1000

Enjoy a 100% Welcome Bonus of up to $1000

5
Rating
10x
Turnover
30d
Valid

License vs. actual RTP- What is the difference?

Slot and other casino games are software developed by licensed development companies like Microgaming, NetEnt, Playtech, and many other reputable sources. Such products rely on RNG (random number generator), which means the outcomes are not predetermined.

To ensure fairness, each product is audited through independent institutions like eCoGRA or iTech Lab. After the RNG is confirmed, that algorithm plays out a massive amount of spins to determine the licensed RTP.

The actual number is comparable to the licensed percentage, but only if viewed on an immense scale. Adding volatility, or how often the play results in a win, brings out the tolerance or accepted percentage below or above the licensed value. 

For players, volatility will influence the session more than return to the player, but in the long run, most slot titles will have results close to the theoretical licensed number.